Sunday, January 22, 2012

And the "Worst Day of the Week" award goes to....

Sunday!! They're so awful. Between the realization that you have to go back to school the next day, all the homework you haven't been doing since Thursday's bar night, the fact that you're just generally a bum, and Chapter, it's just terrible. Here I sit at my desk, watching Curb Your Enthusiasm, working on CompLit 241, and just wanting Chapter to be over already so I can get back to my work. I don't understand why we have it on Sundays...it seems like if there's a day that many people are busy, or need to do other things, especially around 6:15pm, it's Sunday. *sigh*

I'm working on this analysis of the grandmother from Flannery O'Connors "A Good Man is Hard to Find", and Holden Caulfield from JD Salinger's "The Catcher in the Rye". I have to identify 'what new insight each makes possible about the other's approach to the question of strangeness' for my English 230 class. It's very dull, and kind of hard to get my mind around. For instance, I'm arguing that with age often comes wisdom, and therefore the grandmother is able to understand that she is in fact flawed, and is not 100% 'good' as she'd previously thought, right before she dies; Holden on the other hand is handicapped by his lack of years, and therefore at the end of the book has basically learned nothing from his experiences, and still judges people and their actions/thoughts based on superficial qualities. Oooooh! I think that's going to be my thesis, verbatim!! I hadn't been able to think of an adequate way to put it but I think this is good!!! Yay for blogging clearing my head and untangling my thoughts :)

I'm thinking that when John goes off to other places I'm going to keep this blog and update it as a sort of record of letters to him. You know, every time start with 'Dear John', and stuff. I think that'd be nice. He'd be able to keep up with me, post, etc. And it might be nice for other people in a similar situation to see that we're all sharing the same experiences, and that it can be done!

Anyway, I just took this of me and John last night. It makes me smile; it's such a classic 'us' picture 

~Margs 

No comments:

Post a Comment